Explorations in Policing, Faith and Life (With a hint of humor, product reviews, news and whatever catches my attention)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Safe Schools (Sorry for the delay)


Normally I try for a minimum of two posts a week, but we have been very busy (Officers and Agents), on projects, anyway I will be more consistent in the future.

I, like most people, was saddened by the actions of another deranged and immoral gunman at Northern Illinois University. However when I start to hear the people around me start to say how at risk school children are to violence then ever before, I have to stop them. There are more children attending school in American then ever before in our history. Further the actual rates of violent acts against them in a per capita break down suggest for the vast majority of crimes they have never been safer.

For example in Illinois alone there are 2,362,718 public and nonpublic children enrolled in school. (Source http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research/pdfs/imun00.pdf). We should attempt to make the schools as safe as possible but I also think we need to acknowledge all the good work the teachers, school administrators and law enforcement have made in improving safety and will be making in the future.

I know that something good will come of this evil because:

Luke 1:37 "For nothing is impossible with God."

No comments: