Explorations in Policing, Faith and Life (With a hint of humor, product reviews, news and whatever catches my attention)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Watching the Evil of Others



I was reading in the newspaper and watching on television the continuing saga of Chicago PO (Idiot-Monster) Anthony Abbate and followed it up with a dose of the Gary Indiana Police Officers who were recently indited (Gary officials Sgt. Thomas Decanter, Police Chief Thomas Houston, and Deputy Chief Thomas Branson-have been indicted by a federal grand jury for alleged civil rights violations). I kept thinking, I and the vast majority of my fellow police officers, work so hard to be professional, unbiased and compassionate and yet because of these idiots/drunkards/gluttons/bruts...they tear down all of our good work.

I kept thinking, I will never be like them, I am better than they and if I had my way I would sweep them into the trash.

Unfortunately God was waiting for me when I opened my Bible. I can across Luke 6:27-42.

Love for Enemies
27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Judging Others
37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
39He also told them this parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.

41"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

I was struck down where I sat reading this.

I see these Officers and all who act like them as my enemy and the enemy of all law enforcement everywhere. But am I a better man then they? If I think so then there will be a time when God's hand will place me under them. How foolish I am. I have not committed their actions, not because I am this great and moral person, but rather because I am a slave to Christ and I obey. Left up to my own actions who knows what I would do or what situations I would find myself in.

Further, has there not been many times that I have had too much to drink? Reacted in anger? Less than totally honest? Just because I have not done it on the job does not place me in the position to judge those that have fallen. It is without a doubt that their actions were evil but it is also without a doubt that so much of what I have done others would easily label these acts as evil.

I need to focus the light onto myself first and fix what I do before attempting to fix the ocasional roge officer and further: remember and embrace the fact that since I am a sinful fallen creature that can not go through one day without sin, I am not at this place in my life because I have led but rather I have found salvation and these blessings because I followed without input and contrbution and better yet at the end of a long line of others doing a better job than I.

No comments: